Laparoscopic Bitch Speys
Laparoscopic Bitch Spays
This is keyhole surgery that uses state-of-the-art, minimally invasive equipment. A lap spay involves inserting a camera and specialist instruments into the body wall via two very small incisions, which allows for maximum precision and minimum trauma. This enables the surgeon to remove the ovaries without the need to open the abdomen.
Having this type of surgery performed laparoscopically is beneficial to your pet in many ways:
- It can significantly reduce post operative pain and discomfort
- It gives an enhanced field of view enabling a thorough examination of the abdomen
- Minimal tissue injury at the time of surgery
- Aids a faster, more comfortable recovery
- Smaller surgical wounds which are faster to heal
- Lower risk of post operative complications
- All patients are sent home with pain relief to ensure their comfort, we would recommend a pet-shirt (available at a small extra cost) to prevent the patient licking the wound.
- A postoperative check is included 3-4 days post-surgery.
- We will advise that you restrict exercise to short lead walks until after the first post operative check, we will then advise an exercise plan to gradually increase back to normal activity.
- If you are registered with another veterinary practice and choose to have your bitch spayed laparoscopically at Christchurch Vets we will send your vets full details of the procedure following surgery.
- If you are registered with another veterinary practice and would like your pet to be spayed laparoscopically at Christchurch Vets we will require your pet’s clinical history to be sent to us prior to the surgery date.